Living with the constant pain and stiffness of shoulder arthritis can be frustrating. Pain and limited mobility can prevent you from doing many activities that are important to you. Fortunately for you and millions of other patients, clinical experiments have resulted in advances and innovations in the discipline of shoulder arthritis treatment.
There are now countless effective options for treating shoulder arthritis in modern patients. At the Hyderabad shoulder clinic, Dr Chandra Shekar understands your shoulders’ key role in supporting your routine and lifestyle. Because of this, we are proud to offer a wide range of targeted options for the treatment of arthritis and other degenerative joint diseases affecting the shoulder, from non-surgical therapies to cutting-edge surgery. At the Hyderabad Shoulder Clinic, we believe that education is the first step towards a healthier and more comfortable lifestyle.
Let us see this article to know some Treatment Options for Shoulder Arthritis provided by Dr Chandra Shekar.
What is shoulder osteoarthritis?
When looking for the best treatment for shoulder osteoarthritis, it’s important to
understand the condition yourself. Osteoarthritis, also known as degenerative joint disease, is a physical erosion of the protective tissue in the joints called cartilage. Since the cartilage in your shoulder is damaged for various reasons, the humerus (upper arm bone) and the shoulder blade (shoulder blade) can rub together uncomfortably, causing pain, swelling, grasping or crackling, and loss of movement. If you have these symptoms and haven’t been to a doctor, diagnosing and treating shoulder osteoarthritis can help you live a fuller, less painful life.
What are the treatment options?
Choice of treatment for shoulder osteoarthritis depends on several factors, including your age, the severity of your symptoms, and your level of activity. There are several non-surgical and surgical options depending on the type and location of arthritis. When choosing a treatment for osteoarthritis for shoulder pain, you must speak honestly and openly with your doctor about your symptoms, other medical conditions, lifestyle, concerns and questions so that you can together make the best decisions.
How to Treat Arthritis of the Shoulder Non-Surgically
Possible shoulder specialists at the Hyderabad shoulder clinic, Dr Chandra Shekar, will prescribe non-surgical treatments for arthritis and similar degenerative diseases, with surgery being maintained as a last resort. For thousands of patients, non-surgical procedures effectively relieve shoulder pain and associated symptoms and avoid invasive surgery.
Are You a Suitable Candidate for Non-Surgical Treatment?
A physical examination by a qualified professional is required to answer this question. However, patients with early arthritis, whose joint and cartilage damage is isolated in a small anatomical area, are more likely to be prescribed non-surgical treatment. Below are some non-surgical treatment options that may be recommended for patients with shoulder pain.
- Activity changes and physical therapy: Overhead or hard work can worsen shoulder arthritis. Modifying these high-impact stress-reduction activities can help manage shoulder symptoms. Lifting heavy weights can also make arthritic shoulders worse, especially bench presses or push-ups. This activity should also be avoided.
It remains important to maintain a good range of motion and muscle strength in arthritic joints. Increasing activity with little or no effect, such as swimming, may greatly help some people. Your doctor can help you develop a physical therapy program that can improve the health of your orthopaedic shoulder.
- Medication: Medication can help patients manage their shoulder arthritis symptoms. The most commonly prescribed medications for shoulder arthritis are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These drugs relieve pain and inflammation in rheumatic joints and are usually sold over the counter. Your family doctor should monitor the regular use of these medicines. If you experience gastrointestinal side effects with this medicine, drugs known as COX-2 inhibitors may be recommended as an alternative treatment for shoulder arthritis without irritating the digestive tract. This medicine can only be obtained by prescription from a doctor. Medicines should only be taken according to your doctor’s instructions.
- Supplement with glucosamine and chondroitin: Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate occur naturally in the human body and contribute to cartilage structure. The use of oral glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate has been shown in studies to cause mild to moderate improvement in osteoarthritis symptoms in patients by potentially reducing inflammation. Usage of this supplement should be avoided in diabetics.
- Intra Articular injection: Intra-articular steroid injections into the affected shoulder joint can provide significant pain relief in patients with shoulder arthritis. These injections can help reverse inflammation and related symptoms. Steroid treatment is usually limited, and your doctor will help you decide which one is right for you.
At the Hyderabad shoulder clinic, Dr Chandra Shekar, all of our treatment plans are personalized. This means that your own goals, preferences, patient background and general health will all be considered in determining your application for non-surgical treatment for shoulder arthritis.
Ways to treat arthritis of the shoulder surgically.
If the joint damage caused by shoulder arthritis is severe, surgical treatment may be recommended after the diagnostic examination. Surgery may be recommended for other patients if non-surgical treatment options are inadequate or if symptoms persist despite prescribed therapy.
Every shoulder surgeon at the Hyderabad shoulder clinic, Dr Chandra Shekar, is a certified specialist and trained for the fellowship. Based on your specific needs, you will be matched with the right doctor who has special experience performing the specific surgery you need. We offer a wide range of modern surgical treatments, from minimally invasive procedures to shoulder replacement surgery.
Below are two of the most effective and widely prescribed shoulder care options.
- Arthroscopy: Shoulder arthroscopy involves the surgical treatment of damaged rheumatic joint tissue through a small incision in the shoulder. Small instruments and a camera are inserted into these incisions to control the surgeon’s work. The damaged tissue is cut, and the inside of the joint is cleaned and repaired. The smaller cuts in the arthroscopy mean the surgery is minimally invasive and involves less tissue trauma and a shorter recovery time than open surgery.
- Shoulder replacement: If the symptoms and degeneration are severe, shoulder replacement (also known as shoulder arthroplasty) can be an effective method of treating shoulder arthritis. This operation is performed to replace the rheumatic surface of the shoulder joint with a prosthetic component.
In most operations, the head and shoulders (“ball”) ariseplaced by a metal ball attached to the rod. This rod is inserted into the humerus (arm bone) to hold the ball in place. Sometimes only the “spherical” components of the connection are replaced; This is known as a hemiarthroplasty. Full shoulder replacement involves “ball” (humeral head) and “socket” (glenoid) replacement and is the more common treatment for shoulder arthritis. This surgery can have dramatic results in terms of restoring function and relieving symptoms.
Shoulder arthritis is a less common problem than knee arthritis. However, if your symptoms are severe, they can dramatically impact your quality of life. Treatment usually starts with simple steps and can lead to surgery.
The best options for treating shoulder osteoarthritis vary because everyone’s body and needs are different. The best thing you can do for your arthritis is to see an orthopaedic surgeon who will analyze your specific case and help you make an informed decision about what type of therapy is best for you. At the Hyderabad shoulder clinic, Dr Chandra Shekar, we treat each patient individually and tailor their treatment to their needs.
If you’ve lived with shoulder arthritis, you won’t have to endure the chronic pain and dysfunction associated with the condition. Targeted treatment options are available that allows you to restore your shoulder and quality of life fully.
A certified doctor at the Hyderabad shoulder clinic, Dr Chandra Shekar, can help you choose the best treatment options for shoulder arthritis. For more information or to make an appointment, please visit us here or call us at 099595 88389.